Dec 13, 2010

Mama's Cooking at Bat Artzi

By Laura Goldstein

I have been reading about Bat Artzi (Daughter of our Land), a women’s cooperative kitchen, for weeks. It is one unique Tel Aviv restaurant, everyday there is a different “mama” who prepares and serves specialties from her mother country. The mamas are from around North Africa and the Middle East and make pots full of delicious food made with their traditional family recipes.**

Bat Artzi from Outside
Today I braved the rainy cold weather and trudged my way down Nachalat Binyamin, turned on HaShomer, one of the side streets, and found the small restaurant. The tiny indoor space was full of Israelis hunched over their steaming plates heaped with comfort food trying to warm up after being in the unforgiving wet weather. The décor was simple, a funky tiled floor and framed photos of what I can only imagine were the mamas and their family life.
Moroccan Mama Food...yum
Wafting in the space was the delicious smell of simmering savory concoctions. Behind the counter were pots overflowing with meatballs, chicken, stuffed peppers, and stewed veggies. Today the “mama” in charge of the cooking and serving was an amiable Morrocan woman who gave me a smile as she ladled extra sauce on my meatballs. Next to the counter was a fridge full of beautiful salads of pickled vegetables and traditional sauces to accompany the main dish. Taking in the smells and sights of the home cooked fare I was full of anticipation as I sat down to eat. 

My meal of meatballs, rice, and cooked string beans was warm and comforting, perfect for the tumultuous weather outside. The meatballs were big and hearty and all of the sauces mixed harmoniously with the rice. This lunch reminded me of a recent Shabbat meal I had at an Israeli friend’s house. My friend's mother spent hours cooking the meal and invited friends and strangers alike to share the meal. This is how I felt at Bat Artzi. Even though I did not share a common language with the cook I felt that she had a vested interest in my nourishment and would continually pour food on my plate if she could, just like my friend's mother did at Shabbat.
Traditional Tea Set at Bat Artzi
 I finished off my meal with a piping hot glass of black coffee. It came with sugar and like traditional Turkish coffee, a lump of coffee grinds at the bottom. It was delicious and strong, keeping me buzzing for hours afterward. 

My meal at Bat Artzi warmed my stomach and my soul, because even far away from home in Tel Aviv Israel, sometimes you just need a home cooked meal from a mama.


 Bat Arzi is located at HaShomer 7, Tel Aviv and can be reached at 03-5177808.

**Bat Artzi is no longer a collective, normally there is one mama cooking, Miriam, who makes family recipes from North Africa and the Middle East. However, there are special events where they bring in other women to cook their homemade meals.

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE!
    Bat Artzi is no longer a collective, normally there is one mama cooking, Miriam, who makes family recipes from North Africa and the Middle East. However, there are special events where they bring in other women to cook their homemade meals.

    ReplyDelete